The Camping Trip, an annual outdoor music festival held in Jefferson, NY, will be happening the weekend of August 4-6, and the announced lineup for this year is chock full of huge names in Jewish alternative, both established and up-and-coming.
The list includes Jewish rock pioneers Moshav and Soulfarm; rappers Matisyahu, Kosha Dillz, and Hebro; and Hasidic folksters Zusha and Levi Robin. Elsewhere on the marquee are Simple Man, Chillent, PERL (ex-Bulletproof Stockings), Yisroel Arye Gootblatt of Brooklyn Jazz Warriors, singer-songwriter Emily Zimmer, and Jeremy Gaisin’s Midnite Remedy, with even still more unrevealed slots set for later in the festival.
You can find out more about The Camping Trip and how to purchase tickets here.
(h/t Ash at That’s Frum!?)
UPDATE 7/26: A new promo for the event (below) has officially added a whole bunch of new names to the list. Among them are: singer-songwriter Esther Freeman, who will be hosting a Shabbat Candle Lighting for women as well as performing on Sunday; Yanky Shpigelman, brother and former bandmate of the previously-covered Esther S.; John Wylde (aka Avi Yaniger), a folksinger originally from Jerusalem; Glaser Drive, a folk rock/Americana quartet of sisters; Pesach Stadlin, a student rabbi, “spirit guide”, and songleader; and Moishy “Mark” Klaver, a pop singer-songwriter from Suffern, NY. Other additions, lacking in web presence but nevertheless intriguingly named, include Jooraffe, Ms. Shira, Shloni, Psydlox, and The Klezmaniac (presumably not to be confused with the Grammy-winning Klezmatics). The video ends with “More Artists TBA”, so expect more updates to this post as the festival nears.
UPDATE 8/3: A more-or-less final lineup has been published (see below), although a “Secret Set” is still listed and the bottom asterisk on the poster notes that it is subject to change. Ignoring DJs and artists without an easy-to-find web presence, here are some of the new acts revealed (another h/t to That’s Frum!?):
- Pumpidisa, a youthful NY wedding and simcha band, will play the Main stage Sunday evening.
- Innocent Persona, a pop rock band led by vocalist Ittai Stern and affiliated with Diwon’s Bancs Media, will play the Cloud stage earlier that day.
- Elana Brody, a Virginia-born, Brooklyn-based musician who eloquently describes her sound as “Melodramatic Orgasm Pop”, will play an acoustic set that afternoon.
- Aaron Holder, a folk-pop singer-songwriter influenced by the Lubavitcher Rebbe and praised by the likes of Moshe Hecht, will play the Cloud stage after PERL.
- Blanket Statementstein, a very, very underground hippie/punk/alternative collective best known for their association with Moshiach Oi!, will close out the festival that night on the Cloud stage.